Quinoa stuffed peppers
I made these yesterday. Haven’t used quinoa much in cooking before but absolutely loved this dish!
Quinoa is a fantastic wheat-free alternative to rice. It also packs a punch when it comes to protein!
|14g protein||6g fat||64g carbohydrate||7g fibre|
Anyways, the stuffed peppers were easy enough to make. About 25 mins prep time and then 50-60 mins in the oven. I made quite a few and then just froze the leftover peppers.
I didn’t follow any strict recipe and added bits as I went along but below is a rough guide as to how I made mine.
- Large peppers (5)
- 200g quinoa
- 6 chopped cherry tomatoes
- 1 chopped white onion
- A cup of spinach
- 14 chopped button mushrooms
- Handful of mint and parsley
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 2 tsp of tomatoe and chilli pesto
- 1 tsp of tumeric
- 1 tsp of cinnamon
- Cheese to top
- Black pepper and salt to tast
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees.
- For the filling: Fry the onions in oil for 3 minutes. Then add in the garlic, mushrooms, spinach and baby tomatoes. Add in the parsley and mint at the end.
- Quinoa: Rinse before use.
- Cut the tops of the peppers and core out the insides, getting rid of any seeds.
- Combine the quinoa and veg mix, add black pepper and salt to taste. Pack the mixture into the peppers and top with some cheese. Place the top of the pepper on top (like a little hat!).
- Wrap the peppers in tinfoil and bake on a baking tray in the oven for 50-60 mins until the peppers are soft and juicy.