Apple and pear crumble
I am slightly obsessed with stewed fruit and crumbles so this Easter I made a healthier, refined sugar and diary free, version.
I chose another cracking recipe from Deliciously Ella (book 2) and tried my hand at vegan apple and pear crumble 💚🌱
This recipe is easy to make and I was really pleased with the outcome. I served it at dinner with my parents and grandparents and it went down a treat!
For the filling
- 5 red apples
- 3 pears
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 150g raisins
For the crumble topping
- 200g pecans
- 300g rolled oats
- 2 tsp vanilla powder
- 4 tbsp coconut oil (melted)
- 8 tbsp date syrup
- 2 tsp ground ginger
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- Start by making the fruit layer. Peel the apples and pears, then chop them into bite-sized pieces, discarding the cores.
- Place the chopped pieces into a saucepan with the cinnamon, ginger and raisins, plus enough water to cover the bottom few centimetres of the pan. Let the fruit gently cook over a medium-low heat for about 20 minutes, until it’s really soft. Preheat the oven to 200°C (fan 180°C).
- Meanwhile, make the crumble layer. Place the pecans in a food processor for about 30 seconds, until they form a flour. Tip into a bowl and mix in the oats and vanilla.
- Place the coconut oil, date syrup, ginger and cinnamon in a saucepan and gently heat the mix until the coconut oil melts. Pour this into the oat mix and stir it all together.
- Once the fruit has cooked, place it in a baking dish (recommended size is 31 x 21cm) and spread the crumble layer on top. Bake for 20 minutes, until the top turns a golden brown.
Best served with some coconut yoghurt or custard/cream. I also drizzled some maple syrup on too!
Due to using rolled oats in this apple and pear crumble I did keep thinking I was eating a morning treat… On the plus side, I had it for breakfast this morning and it didn’t feel like a sickly dessert. It’s delicious!
It has such a warming smell and taste from the cinnamon and warmed apples that it reminded me of Chrismas at home. Had to keep reminding myself that it is Spring!
This is the first Easter when I haven’t longed for, or wanted, any ‘sweet’ treats or chocolate (of the sugar laden, dairy variety). Instead I’ve craved Sweet Potato Brownies and other sugar-free snacks. Just goes to show what your body craves when it gets used to healthier foods!
Later on today I’m making a sugar-free, vegan chocolate and almond cheesecake.
Happy Easter! 🐰🐣
Ps: follow me on snapchat for more recipes etc., smallkellebelle is my username 👻