Apple and Berry Crumble
Last week I made Apple and Pear crumble… And it was so delicious that I decided to make another crumble this week!
I did originally plan on making Apple and Blackberry crumble, but realised I only had 300g of blackberries and not the 400g required… So I decided to add in raspberries and blueberries too.
It was really easy to make, the hardest part was probably peeling the apples… That is not my forte!
The crumble topping is a different recipe to last week’s version and I prefer this one, it tastes less ‘breakfasty’.
For the topping
- 200g almond flour (or ground almonds)
- 180g oats (I used organic Buckwheat Flakes)
- 3 heaped tbsp coconut oil
- 100ml maple syrup
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
For the fruit layer
- 6 red apples
- 400g berries of your choice
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
1. Start by making the crumble layer. Place the almond flour and oats in a mixing bowl.
2. Place the coconut oil, maple syrup and cinnamon in a saucepan and gently heat until the coconut has melted, then mix together. Pour this over the oat and almond mixture and stir well until all the dry ingredients are coated with the wet ingredients.
3. To make the fruit layer, peel the apples and remove the cores, then cut into small pieces. Place these in a saucepan with the blackberries, maple syrup and cinnamon and enough boiling water to just cover the bottom of the pan.
4. Place the lid on the pan and allow it to simmer for about 10-15 minutes, until the fruit is nice and soft. While this cooks, preheat the oven to 180°C.
5. Once the fruit is soft, transfer it to a baking dish and sprinkle over the crumble topping. Bake for 25-30 minutes, until the top is nicely browned.
I drizzled some maple syrup on top when it was done for some extra sweetness 🙂